Question:

From Indiana, USA:

My 12 year old daughter has not had her period in almost two months. She is under a doctor's care for hypoglycemia. She takes Avandia and has been steadily losing weight since being diagnosed in June. She previously had menses every 28 days with no interruption. I am wondering if a weight loss disorder is causing this situation. She is not pregnant.

Answer:

You do not provide sufficient information in your question. I wonder if the obesity is related to high sugars, hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia. Avandia would not be a proper treatment for low sugar levels, but for high sugar levels associated with obesity, insulin resistance, excess androgens, menstrual disorders, acanthosis nigricans, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, etc. I would encourage you to go back to your physician and ask these questions so that you can get a better understanding of these complex situations.