Question:

From East Stone Gap, Virginia, USA:

I am a 45 year old woman who went to the local health department for gynecological problems last week. Because of frequent yeast infections, my nurse practitioner asked me to come in for a fasting blood sugar. I had that done this morning, with a result of 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], after fasting for 12 hours. I am symptomatic for diabetes with frequent urination and thirst, frequent yeast infections, shakiness, dizziness, blurred vision when I go too long before eating, and a compulsion to eat candy all day to keep down the shakes. I am obese. My maternal grandfather had type 2 diabetes and my father was "borderline" (diet controlled except when very ill). How likely am I to be diagnosed with diabetes? Or, do you think it is pre-diabetes? My nurse practitioner was not there at the time, so I expect that I will hear from her soon. I am very concerned.

Answer:

Diabetes is diagnosed when you have two blood sugars, after an eight hour fast, on two different days that are both over 125 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L]. So far, you have only had one. You should have the test repeated and see what it is. In the meantime, at the very least you are very high risk for pre-diabetes/diabetes and should consider a consultation with a diabetes educator or registered dietician to discuss a program of meal planning and physical activity.

JS

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2