Question:

From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

I'm 50 years old and recently had my eyes examined, which led to a trip to the doctor's office where I was diagnosed with diabetes. My nurse practitioner said that I've had it for quite a while. I'm now on metformin, a 1500 calorie diet and exercise. She's also ordered more blood tests for Hepatitis A, B and C and an ultrasound of my liver, pancreas and spleen. Are these procedures normal?

Answer:

You should ask her what she is looking for. These are not routine tests for someone newly diagnosed with diabetes.

JS

Posted to Other and Type 2