From Orlando, Florida, USA:

My 18 month old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 last week. My question is how to feed her. Is the primary goal to feed her based on the Food Guide Pyramid? When I feed her the six grains, her blood sugars jump above 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] and higher. Isn't the goal to keep her below 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], which I can do if I keep her to four grains a day?

It is important for everyone to use the Food Guide Pyramid as a foundation for their eating, especially a child with diabetes. The numbers you state are generally based on adult serving sizes for the pyramid. Speak with a registered dietitian who specializes in pediatric diabetes meal planning to devise a meal plan that will allow for adequate calories for your daughter and allow for optimal blood sugar control. Good luck with meal planning.