From Whitwell, Tennessee, USA:

My fasting blood glucose level is running between 140 and 170 mg/dl [7.8 and 9.4 mmol/L] no matter what I do, i.e., bedtime snack, no bedtime snack, nothing after 6:00 p.m., etc. My postmeal readings are normal, but I can't seem to get the fasting levels to come down to normal. What can I do?

I am taking Glucophage, 500 mg, twice a day. I am in my second week. The first week, I took one tablet at dinner (6:00 to 7:00 p.m.) and this second week I take one tablet with breakfast (7:00 a.m.) and one tablet with dinner (6:00 to 7:00 p.m.). Next week, I will be taking one tablet at breakfast (7:00 a.m.), one at lunch (noon) and one at dinner (6:00 to 7:00 p.m.).

Also, my vision is so blurry that I can't wear my glasses. My vision is better without them. I didn't have any blurred vision until my glucose level came down. Is this normal? Will my vision clear up?

Glucophage works best at lowering your blood sugar overnight so that you wake up with a blood sugar that is less than 110 to 120 mg/dl [6.1 to 6l.7 mmol/L]. It does take a little while to kick in, especially since you have been working your way up to a therapeutic dose. You should probably give it a few weeks at the 1500 mg dose, then ask your doctor if you should go up to 2000 mg total for the day. If it doesn't work after a month or so at that dose, you will probably need a second medicine added.

Please check with your diabetes doctor and your eye doctor about your vision.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

This patient should talk to their diabetes physician about the possible need to add a shot of nighttime insulin, NPH or perhaps Lantus, to get those glucose levels down.

Posted to Type 2