Question:

From O'Fallon, Missouri, USA:

My cousin's daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in December 2003. My cousin is now pregnant with her third child. Her obstetrician wants to test her twice for gestational diabetes because of her daughter's diagnosis. Is it possible that my cousin is at higher risk of having gestational diabetes because her daughter is diabetic? This doesn't make sense to me.

Answer:

Diabetes can run in families. However, it can also be an isolated diagnosis due to its multifactorial causes. Screening in pregnancy is still indicated, but the presence of diabetes in the family is not necessarily a reason to screen twice. There may be something else that is concerning the doctor about your cousin's risk for developing gestational diabetes.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Other