Question:

From North Dakota, USA:

Earlier this year, my four year old daughter had questionable pre-diabetes. She had one episode of blood sugar over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] and 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] spill in her urine. The doctor thought it may have been due to a virus. Since then, she has had no glucose in her urine or sugars over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. There have been some incidences of possible glucose intolerance.

Have there been any incidences of changes in stool color for children with or people with diabetes? Since her incidents, I have noticed her stool being very light in color, tan or even clay colored. Then, there are times it has been bile green (almost fluorescent) and times where it has been dark green. I cannot pinpoint certain foods yet that make the changes. Her stool is never a regular brown that I would think it should be. Maybe its another disorder? Excess bile production or not enough? She says her tummy hurts only a few times a month so I dismiss it because sometimes it is just before she has a bowel movement. I believe it is just from the sensation that she has to go. I have mentioned it at a few appointments and I never get much of a response or answer.

Answer:

Changes in stool color is not a symptom of diabetes. Your pediatrician will be your best resource in determining if this might represent a problem.