Question:

From Benton, Arkansas, USA:

My five year old was diagnosed last November and we have switched to the NovoPen and Lantus at night. She is currently taking four units of Lantus at nighttime, but I have been having a problem with her blood sugar staying in the 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] range and can't seem to get it to regulated. I don't think she is ready for the pump. She was doing the split dose of Humulin/Humalog in morning and that seemed to work but she hated the needle. She likes the NovoPen needle, but it isn't providing good control. What do you recommend?

Answer:

I would review your blood sugars on a weekly basis with your diabetes team. They will be able to best assist you with any dosing changes that might be necessary to more adequately regulate your daughter's blood sugars. Pumps are being used more often, even in small children. Pumps have the clear advantage in that they can deliver very small amounts of insulin accurately and adjust better than insulin injections to a young child's erratic eating and activity schedule. You may wish to discuss that also with your diabetes team.

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care