Question:

From North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA:

I have two grandsons, ages seven and ten. Both have type 1 diabetes. They are half-brothers, having different fathers. The younger one got diabetes first, then, six months later, the older one got diabetes. I find this strange. In fact, I find this very strange. There has to be a common denominator here. Can one child be given diabetes from the other child through blood sticks or a needle stick?

Answer:

You cannot get diabetes from a needle stick. There is a genetic connection in siblings that both develop diabetes. Although your children are half-brothers, they still share a significant genetic link, which may be the common denominator for which you are searching.