From Edison New Jersey, USA:

What is your opinion of the OmniPod for use by a five year old boy diagnosed almost an year ago? He is now on injections, with his latest A1c 6.2. I would be interested in getting one before he goes to school. Can a school nurse be trained to program the device? Is it safe enough for use in little kids?

I have not yet had experience with the OmniPod but have theoretical reservations about its use in younger children for two reasons. One is the size of the device. It's 1.6 x 2.4 x 0.7 inches (so, not tiny, despite the picture on the web site that makes it look about the size of a cherry!). The second reservation I have is that it requires that a child keep track of a PDA like device for programming the OmniPod.

That said, I have yet to see the device in person and would be happy to be proven wrong! As always, I would like to emphasize the importance of understanding carbohydrate counting and corrective doses before going onto basal/bolus therapy no matter how delivered.

Posted to Insulin Pumps