From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

My brother-in-law has diabetes. He didn't take care of himself in the past. Now, everything is getting worse. The doctor said he has to stop eating protein because he is "losing" it in his urine and, if he doesn't take care of this, he will need dialysis. However, he needs some protein to make his sugar a little bit high. Where can we find a sample of menus to regulate and balance this?

I would strongly recommend that your brother-in-law make an appointment to meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. Your physician can refer you to this person, if necessary. A registered dietitian can develop a specialized meal plan to help obtain optimal blood sugar control and preserve kidney function.

Posted to Complications and Meal Planning, Food and Diet