Question:

From Motherwell, United Kingdom:

Today, at my father-in-law's house, we all checked our blood sugars since my father-in-law has diabetes. My daughter's reading was 13.3 mmol/L [239 mg/dl]. Is this high for her age, which is 10? Should we take her to our general practitioner (GP)?

Answer:

Please double-check your daughters random high reading with a laboratory test of a fasting blood sugar and a urinalysis. Then, you may with to go to your GP for a consultation.

[Editor's comment: See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for more information. BH]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Diagnosis and Symptoms