Question:

From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

My friend is 24 years old and has had type 1 diabetes for at least 11 years. He monitors his blood sugar frequently and keeps it within normal range. I get really concerned about him, though, because he loves juice and drinks it about once or twice a day. Also, every now and then, he'll eat a dessert, such as ice cream or cake. Is what he is doing harmful to his health? Also, as a college student, my friend does not get as much sleep as he should. Will lack of sleep be detrimental to his health more than it would be to a normal person without diabetes?

Answer:

Occasional sugar in the diet (juice, ice cream, etc.) is fine for people with diabetes, as long as they take additional insulin to cover those treats and as long as that sugar is infrequently used as a treat. It is always best to avoid those sugars when possible, but it is not realistic to think that those sugars should be avoided at all times. Lack of sleep can be detrimental to anyone, but is a sometimes unavoidable part of college life and professional life.