From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

Since September, I have been dealing with an annoying rash that is now on my arms, legs, stomach and neck. It is very itchy. My doctor is at a loss for what is causing this. Along with the rash, I feel lightheaded most of the time and now feel very shaky. My doctor, in the beginning, had asked if I was diabetic. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes, although diabetes is in my family. The only thing they did to check for diabetes is to take my blood sugar level. Can they determine if I have diabetes just based on taking my blood sugar level? Or, should I ask for the glucose test?

I am not sure what you mean by referring to a blood sugar level and a glucose test. Rapid screening can be performed with a fingerstick blood test. In addition, glucose levels can be performed on the blood drawn from the vein. Blood sugar and glucose are used synonymously. The diagnosis of diabetes is best made by measuring the fasting glucose. Fasting refers to eating nothing overnight and until after you have the blood drawn. There are specific cutoffs that determine whether diabetes is present. The finding has to be confirmed with a second blood test. See our web page on the Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other