Question:

From Edison, USA:

I measured my blood sugar three times during last one and half months. The first time, it was 189 mg/dl [10.5 mmol/L]; the second time, 167 mg/dl [9.3 mmol/L]; and the third time, 257 mg/dl [14.3 mmol/L]. All these blood sugar were post-meal, about two hours after dinner.

I don't know what to do. By reading questions and answers here, on this web site, it looks like I have blood sugar problem. But, I don't have any excessive thirst, excessive urination, excessive hunger, weight loss, fatigue, or blurred vision. I DO have high blood sugars. I'm not sure about sugar or ketones in my urine.

Basically, I feel healthy except for being slightly overweight, 168 pounds. I'm so confused and a little worried about what to do. Please advise me.

I measured my blood sugar cause my dad diagnosed with diabetes. I had this glucometer at home and decided to check my blood sugar, otherwise, I would not have ever known about this. Tomorrow, I'm going to monitor my blood sugar during entire day. If you want, I will e-mail you that result at night. Please advise me. I'm uninsured so I don't think I can go to doctor.

Answer:

You should know that the blood sugars you quoted me are higher than desired. However, the diagnosis of diabetes should be made with a fasting glucose at the doctor's office or an oral glucose tolerance test. One of the reasons diabetes goes undiagnosed is that many people do not have high blood sugars, even though they have elevated blood glucose levels. There is not a safe high blood glucose level. No symptoms is not a reason not to pursue the diagnosis and treatment. My recommendation to you is to go to a physician to be tested. Because your father has type 2 diabetes, you are at increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Type 2