From Warsaw, Indiana, USA:

I tested my blood sugar three hours after a meal and it is 314 mg/dl [17.4 mmol/L]. What can I do to bring it down? How bad is this?

The value of 314 mg/dl [17.4 mmol/L] is very high. You are probably experiencing symptoms on a daily basis from high blood sugars. These would include frequent urination, thirst, and blurring of vision. You need to see a physician to help you bring your blood sugar down. If you do not change your control, you are on a course to develop the complications of diabetes. At two hours after meals, most people without diabetes have blood sugars less than 140 m/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. This gives you some idea of how high yours really is. I would recommend seeking help as soon as you can.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Type 2