Question:

From Charlotte, North Carolina, USA:

My daughter had her tonsils removed last month. Before that, most of the time, her blood sugar was below 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. After the surgery, we had to give her lot of pain relievers that caused high blood sugars. We treated the highs with insulin shots. She don't have any more pain associated with the surgery, but her blood sugar seems to be always high. Is there any reason for this?

Answer:

I think that her higher blood sugar levels, since the surgery, are probably linked to this stress and should ameliorate within few weeks. If they remain high, simply increase her insulin dosages towards better values and ask your endocrine team for further investigations.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA