Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from December 2005

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I was told I might have PCOS during my last pregnancy so I got a meter to check my blood sugars. Just recently, I had a few I'm concerned about because I have been urinating frequently. Should I pursue testing for the PCOS? Or, could this be pre-diabetes? (31 Dec 2005)

2. I have a patient taking four diabetes pills. His post meal blood sugars are high, yet, he won't take insulin. Is there another combination of pills he can take? (31 Dec 2005)

3. The doctor has said my son has become insulin resistant. What can you tell me about this condition? (30 Dec 2005)

4. My friend, who takes no pills for his type 2 or Hepatitis C, has periods of confusion/forgetfulness. Could this be from a combination of the diseases or one of them? (30 Dec 2005)

5. My son has special needs and cannot communicate how he is feeling. He has been drinking more than usual and is craving carbohydrates. What symptoms might I recognize if he were to have diabetes? (30 Dec 2005)

6. My teen daughter was diagnosed with type 1 after sudden weight loss. She's overweight and has started regaining weight since going on insulin. Can someone using insulin still lose weight? How much weight gain is normal when put on insulin? (30 Dec 2005)

7. I am a school nurse and am concerned about a first grader. When his dad sends a Lunchable, 43 of the 64 grams of carbohydrates are sugar. How many grams of sugar are acceptable? (30 Dec 2005)

8. I recently encountered a young man with type 1 who had what I consiered an inappropriate lunch. Can you provide guidance on appropriate foods? (30 Dec 2005)

9. Although my blood sugars are in range, I have a long gap between lunch and dinner. Is it okay to have this gap between meals? (30 Dec 2005)

10. Can someone with diabetes have tea with sugar? (28 Dec 2005)

11. When diagnosed with diabetes, my thyroid antibodies were positive. I took Synthroid for a year, then stopped. Are thyroid antibodies ever falsely positive? Since mine are now normal, could I have Eurothyroid Sick Syndrome? (28 Dec 2005)

12. I live in Russia and want to buy an insulin pump. Where can I find the prices for the different pumps? MiniMed is the only pump available here. (28 Dec 2005)

13. Is there a web site where I can sell an almost new insulin pump? I want to be able to pay off the original cost. (28 Dec 2005)

14. Where is the best place for my son to place his infusion sets so they do not come out during wrestling matches? (28 Dec 2005)

15. An endocrinologist diagnosed my daughter as pre-diabetic for type 1 or MODY as a result of antibody testing. What do you think she could have? (26 Dec 2005)

16. My grandson was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Should his identical twin also get tested for diabetes? (26 Dec 2005)

17. We don't seem to get much out of our appointments with the diabetes specialist so I don't take my son as often as recommended. Why are we supposed to go every three months? (26 Dec 2005)

18. After having poor control counting carbohydrates, an internist suggested calorie counting for dosing insulin. What can you tell me about this method? Which would be better for my son? (26 Dec 2005)

19. What can you tell me about cyproterone acetate (Diane 35)? It has lowered my DHEA-sulfate. What should my health care team do for my PCOS? I am concerned about my elevated cortisol level. (26 Dec 2005)

20. I have a relative with type 1 who has not taken care of himself for over 30 years. What is the long-term impact on his behavior and thought process? (26 Dec 2005)

21. My four year old, diagnosed about a year ago, is always tired. Could this be related to her diabetes? (22 Dec 2005)

22. Six weeks ago, my mother developed shingles. Five weeks ago, she had her gall bladder removed. A week later, she developed severe nausea and vomiting. Is it related to her diabetes? (22 Dec 2005)

23. Is it true that diabetes can cause you to not have your period until a later age? (22 Dec 2005)

24. Prior to conceiving, I was urinating frequently. Now, at 29 weeks, I have gestational diabetes. Could I have had diabetes before my pregnancy? (22 Dec 2005)

25. My friend's son was diagnosed with diabetes in August 2005. His blood sugars, controlled by insulin, are up and down. Will he recover from this type of diabetes? (22 Dec 2005)

26. Do you recommend any particular electronic scale for carbohydrate counting? (21 Dec 2005)

27. I was diagnosed with Grave's disease three years ago and have had high blood sugars for a year. My doctor says the highs will go away when my Grave's is stabilized. How can I bring down my blood sugars? (21 Dec 2005)

28. Diagnosed with diabetes two years ago, my daughter hasn't needed insulin for seven months. Could she still be in her honeymoon? (21 Dec 2005)

29. My daughter has lost some weight in the last year. Is it related to her diabetes or something else? (21 Dec 2005)

30. Should I have my daughter tested for monogenic diabetes? (21 Dec 2005)

31. Where can I find "cartoon-like" posters that show the symptoms of both hypo-and hyperglycemia? (21 Dec 2005)

32. I have gastroparesis, but take no medication. Sometimes, I am low for hours and need to take glucagon. How can I prevent the lows? Other than Reglan, what can I take to help with this? (21 Dec 2005)

33. I pre-mix Regular and Humalog insulins. Is it necessary to shake the pre-mixed vials prior to each injection? (20 Dec 2005)

34. As a school aide, I've been asked to be trained to check blood sugars and act accordingly for a first grader. I'm concerned because I am not a health care professional. How is this handled elsewhere? (20 Dec 2005)

35. My son has the symptoms of diabetes and often spikes high blood sugars. But, they always come down on their own. What could this be? He has been seen by an endocrinologist who cannot determine what is going on. (20 Dec 2005)

36. I have had type 1 for 18 years. When my blood sugar is elevated, I have muscle pain. What could be causing it? I've recently had insulin resistance. Could this be a contributing factor? (19 Dec 2005)

37. How do I keep my blood sugar under control? (19 Dec 2005)

38. My blood sugars have been elevated for quite a while, but the doctor has not put me on medication. My potassium level was elevated, too. Is this related to my diabetes? (19 Dec 2005)

39. I recently started insulin and am concerned my fasting blood sugars are a bit high. How long should I wait before adjusting my insulin dose? (19 Dec 2005)

40. The week before menses, I need to double my insulin due to resistance. Is this normal? (19 Dec 2005)

41. Are there any sources of free or very low cost testing equipment and supplies? (19 Dec 2005)

42. Diagnosed with type 1.5 diabetes in March 2005, my doctor wants me to take Byetta instead of insulin. What is the downside of insulin? Would it give me better blood glucose control? (19 Dec 2005)

43. What are the best web sites to follow diabetes research? (15 Dec 2005)

44. My sister was recently diagnosed with borderline diabetes that she controls with diet and exercise. What range should her blood sugars be? (15 Dec 2005)

45. My one hour test for gestational diabetes was just over the cutoff so the doctor recommended a three hour test. Am I likely to have gestational diabetes? (15 Dec 2005)

46. If attendance at a medical conference is tax deductible, are diabetes camp expenses deductible? (15 Dec 2005)

47. My daughter's doctor has prescribed urine ketone strips, but TennCare will not pay for them. Are there any foundations that can help me? (15 Dec 2005)

48. Because he is obese and does not take of his diabetes, my husband needs to find a facility where he can get help. Do you know of one in the New York area? (15 Dec 2005)

49. Since having a viral illness and switching from a Humalog mix to NovoLog and Lantus, I have had strange nerve sensations in my feet and nausea. What do you think is going on? (15 Dec 2005)

50. I have type 1 and want to lose weight. My doctor suggested I substitute Byetta for my Lantus, but I read that Byetta is not for people with type 1. What should I do? (15 Dec 2005)

51. My daughter was put on an oral medication for pre-diabetes, but taken off it when diagnosed with type 2 because of an increased liver count. Should we be concerned? (15 Dec 2005)

52. My son has said that he's feeling depressed about two days a week. He is frustrated with some aspects of diabetes. I plan to take him to the endocrine counselor in three months. What can we do in the meantime? (15 Dec 2005)

53. Is there any scale or book that helps with the time of breakdown for high fat foods for square and dual waves? (14 Dec 2005)

54. My son requires a long, extended basal increase whenever he eats pasta, bread and tortillas. Could he have celiac? Is it possible the blood test for celiac is not really negative? (13 Dec 2005)

55. My wife and I help care for our newly diagnosed 14 month old grandson. Why does he have blood sugar fluctuations? How do we know if he is going into a coma? Do illnesses and teething affect his blood sugars? (13 Dec 2005)

56. How far in advance of dinner should I be taking my metformin? I have been taking it at dinner time. (11 Dec 2005)

57. Currently on Glucomet and Glucobay, my recent A1c was 7.21. What should I do to lower it? Should I take insulin? (11 Dec 2005)

58. Can I increase my oral medication on the days I eat more? Can I skip it the days I eat nothing more than soup? (11 Dec 2005)

59. My son has had both glucose and ketones in his urine. Both have gone away. His pediatrician recommends insulin. Is this necessary? (9 Dec 2005)

60. I accidentally injected myself with 72 units of air. What can happen? (9 Dec 2005)

61. My friend's husband, who has diabetes, has been delusional and paranoid recently. Does diabetes affect the mind? Would his behavior be related to recent high blood sugars? (9 Dec 2005)

62. My college aged son wants to get a pump. I recently saw an ad for the OmniPod. What do you know about it? (9 Dec 2005)

63. I am an active teen, soon to get a pump. How do I prevent the tubing from being ripped off? (9 Dec 2005)

64. I have had hypoglycemia for a few years. My doctor doesn't seem concerned, but I am worried since I had a numb feeling with my last spell. Should I be worried? (9 Dec 2005)

65. When my stepson was hospitalized for vomiting, the doctor said it was "blood sugar poisoning." What is this? How did he get it? (9 Dec 2005)

66. My daughter has had both high and low blood sugar symptoms. Her GTT was normal. Are there other tests to see if she has type 1? (9 Dec 2005)

67. Why is it that my mother's insulin does not control her blood sugars better? Does she need a diet or other precautions? (9 Dec 2005)

68. Can you tell me what type of diet and treatment my father should have? He wants to use diet and exercise to control his blood sugars. (9 Dec 2005)

69. I have two nephews with recurring MRSA infections. Can you tell me how this can affect my son, who has type 1? Is it safe for him to play with his cousins? (9 Dec 2005)

70. My teen son has his first illness since being diagnosed with type 1 four weeks ago. His blood sugars are higher. Are they caused by the antibiotic? (9 Dec 2005)

71. I've had type 1 a little less than a year. Recently, I've need less insulin and my blood sugars are in range. Am I still honeymooning? (9 Dec 2005)

72. After more than 15 years with diabetes, I have neuropathy and gastroparesis. Recently, my sex drive has been reduced. Is this related to my diabetes? (9 Dec 2005)

73. My dad was recently hospitalized in DKA. They said his pH was low and that he should not have survived. How many others have been in similar situations? (7 Dec 2005)

74. Is pump therapy better way to manage diabetes? Is it recommended for children in the early stage of diabetes? I am looking for a way to help stabilize my son's blood sugars. (6 Dec 2005)

75. Due to a pharmaceutical error, my husband took some steroids in an unusual manner. Could this have caused him to develop diabetes? (6 Dec 2005)

76. My daughter's A1c continues to rise. She needs to be 250 to 300 mg/dl [13.9 to 16.7 mmol/L] to avoid a nighttime low. Should we consider doing her Lantus at sometime other than 8 p.m.? (4 Dec 2005)

77. My granddaughter's father has custody of her, but has not caring for her diabetes properly. She has been in DKA three times in the past few months. I just started caring for her recently and am trying to re-establish control, but she's still high. Am I expecting too much, too soon? (2 Dec 2005)

78. Is there an enzyme to protect pre-pubertal children from blood sugar swings? I have a student with highs and his mom won't keep us informed of his daily care. Do you have any advice? (2 Dec 2005)

79. My daughter is in denial and is rebelling against her diabetes by not doing her blood sugar properly. How can I convince her to start testing again? (2 Dec 2005)

80. I have hypoglycemia, with twice the normal level of insulin. Is there a cure for this? How can I lose weight? (2 Dec 2005)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts