Question:

From New Delhi, India:

I have positive symptoms of hypoglycemia. I got my insulin checked and it was double the level of normal person. I went to a diabetes center, but they did not help. I have been overweight for the last 10 years. I am now 31 years old, female, 5 feet, 1 inch tall, and weigh 81 kgs (178 pounds). I do not eat fried food or drink Cokes, etc, but do take sugar in very moderate levels (two teaspoons daily in tea/coffee) and sometimes sweet biscuits, especially when my hands shake towards the end of the day due to hypoglycemia.

Is there a cure for this? How can I lose weight? Can you recommend any diabetes centers in India, specifically New Delhi?

Answer:

It is possible that the intermittent low blood sugars may arise from disordered insulin secretion. If you are overweight, this may put you at increased risk for diabetes down the road. The most important issue is weight loss. Most physicians would suggest this be done with a combination of more exercise and cutting the amount of food you eat. I would suggest, if you can, that you go back to the diabetes center and speak with the dietitian about ways to work on your diet. As far as exercise, daily exercise for at least 30 minutes a day is recommended, provided you have no medical restrictions. If you have any questions about medical restrictions, please speak with your doctor.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Weight and Weight Loss