Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I've had type 1 diabetes for over 15 years. I have neuropathy in my feet, in addition to gastroparesis. I also have mild kidney disease. My question is really embarrassing. For the last year or so, I have had decreased sex drive and inability to have an orgasm. I don't know if this could be related to my diabetes. Would I ask my endocrinologist or my OB/GYN? I am 35 years old, married with no children. I have polycystic ovaries as well. My testosterone level has always been elevated as well as prolactin. My other hormone tests, FSH and LH are normal. What do you think?

Answer:

This problem is not uncommon. I think either one of your physicians would be a good choice to have this discussion. The neuropathy may be part of the issue. The next step is what therapies might help. There have been trials of drugs in the category of Viagra and they have not always helped. Testosterone has been used to increase libido, but is probably not a good choice with the PCOS and previously elevated testosterone levels. Just remember that multiple physicians treating the same problem creates a clumsy situation, similar to too many cooks in the kitchen.

Posted to Complications and Other