Question:

From Erie, Pennsylvania, USA:

My neighbor's husband has diabetes, although I'm not sure which type. What are the effects, if any, of diabetes on the mind? He knows he has the disease but, has done little to help himself, aside from the medication. He seems, sometimes, to be almost delusional and comes up with things almost like paranoia in their marriage as well with anyone else. My friend is at her wits' end and loves him too much to let this go on, but feels there is only so much she can take. Would this behavior have anything to do with his sugar fluctuations and the fact that he has been very high lately?

Answer:

Your friend's husband needs to see his primary care doctor for an evaluation to see if he has a physical or emotional imbalance that needs treatment.

JS

Posted to Behavior and Hyperglycemia and DKA