From Shelton, Connecticut, USA:

I am supposed to take one tablet of metformin, 500 mg, at dinner time. How far in advance of the meal should I take it? I keep forgetting to ask my doctor.

Taking it with the meal is satisfactory. I do not think that the timing for the administration is as critical as it is with insulin. Since it is okay to take with meals, food will not cause it to be poorly absorbed and some tolerance may be gained by taking it with the meals, in terms of negating gastrointestinal side effects. Metformin's effects are seen long past the meal as it helps to lower fasting blood glucose levels.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes