Question:

From Wantagh, New York, USA:

My husband is obese and doing very poorly with his diabetes. We are looking for a rehabilitation facility of sorts for him, for weight loss, exercise, and diabetes treatment. We live in New York and he doesn't fly.

Answer:

I'm not sure if you mean residential treatment or out-patient. Since weight loss is a long term process, I think you should consider a long term plan such as an out-patient diabetes center with a team approach to manage the diabetes and offer nutritional counseling. You can find a recognized program through the American Diabetes Association. In addition, you should consider consulting with a weight loss expert such as Dr. Louis Aronne on York Avenue in Manhattan, 212-583-1000, who has a great deal of experience with people like your husband. You should also consider whether he may be a candidate for bariatric (obesity) surgery as another option.

JS

Posted to Other and Type 2