Question:

From Hohenwald, Tennessee, USA:

My daughter's doctor has called in a prescription for test strips that test her urine ketones. The only problem that we are running into is, that her insurance will not cover them. She has TennCare Select. I thought that her insurance paid for everything, regardless. Are there any web sites that I can get a hold of or any foundations that I can call that can help me out with this?

Answer:

TennCare is not "insurance". It is a state sponsored health plan where the state of Tennessee sets the coverage rules. This is spelled out in the benefit description provided to each TennCare subscriber. There are several programs available to help those with limited means obtain access to needed prescription drugs. The best central location for information about these programs is through RXassist (run by Brown University). However, a quick check of their database did not find that ketone test strips are available through the assistance programs. Ask the child's physician or the clinic for any samples that may have obtained from manufacturers representatives.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs