From Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter, age 11, attended diabetes camp this summer. The IRS representative I spoke with today indicated that the cost of diabetes camp is not a deductible medical expense. Interestingly, attendance at a medical conference on diabetes would be deductible. Have you had any patients who have successfully deducted diabetes camp expenses?

Diabetes camps are not covered because they are generally not prescribed by a physician for the treatment of disease or a condition. Please see your tax advisor for more information.