Question:

From Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter, age 11, attended diabetes camp this summer. The IRS representative I spoke with today indicated that the cost of diabetes camp is not a deductible medical expense. Interestingly, attendance at a medical conference on diabetes would be deductible. Have you had any patients who have successfully deducted diabetes camp expenses?

Answer:

Diabetes camps are not covered because they are generally not prescribed by a physician for the treatment of disease or a condition. Please see your tax advisor for more information.

DSH