From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

I've been a type 1 diabetic for 20 years. I am currently using an insulin pump. I get so worried a week before my period because my blood sugars are crazy! My insulin needs double and I'm very insulin resistant. Is this normal?

I would say it is a variant of normal. There is a spectrum of insulin resistance that occurs with onset of menses. It has something to do with the changes in the hormones that occur at that time. If you know, from history, what your sugars do, and you know how much you have to raise the insulin dosing to cover them, you can do so when evidence of increased insulin requirements occur. This usually amounts to increasing basal rates and may also include increasing bolus dosing. Please check with your physician regarding your specific needs and treatment plan.

Posted to Insulin and Other