Question:

From Royal Oak, Michigan, USA:

How do I keep my blood sugar under control?

Answer:

Keeping your diabetes under control when you're a teenager can be difficult. Your body is producing hormones that sometimes make insulin less effective, plus you're growing, often have very busy schedules, and are under a lot of stress. All of those things can make your diabetes a challenge.

If you're having a difficult time keeping your blood sugars in the range you want, I would recommend asking your parents and your diabetes team for suggestions. Explain what your schedule is like and when, during the day, you're having problems with control. Your team can work with you on a strategy to help with control while still allowing you to do the things you need -- and want -- to do.

If you're using Regular or NPH insulin, I would recommend that you talk with your diabetes team about using either Lantus as your basal insulin or an insulin pump. Both Lantus and pumps have been shown to result in better A1c results with a lower risk of hypoglycemia, both of which mean better control.

Finally, it's really important that you know that a blood sugar is just a number -- it's neither good nor bad. Sometimes you do everything you're supposed to do and your blood sugar is high or low. That doesn't mean you've failed or been bad -- that's part of being a teenager with diabetes. Don't give up and don't let it get you upset.

JSH