Question:

From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

I'm an aide at an elementary school and have been asked to get training to assist a child in first grade with checking blood sugar levels and giving snacks or juice to her depending upon those levels. I would be watching for symptoms of highs or lows. I am reluctant to do this as I am not a health care professional and am aware there is liability involved. How is this situation handled in other school districts? Right now, the child walks down to our school nurse to be checked several times a day, but they want someone in the classroom so the child does not miss out on any class time. The parents are the ones pushing for the aide in the classroom. Can you give me some advice?

Answer:

The diabetes health care professional community and the American Diabetes Association strongly support the training of non-nurse school personnel who volunteer to perform diabetes care tasks for students. Unfortunately, most schools do not have a full-time nurse, so, if you agree to be trained your actions will enhance student blood glucose control and will enable the student to participate fully in school activities. Usually, parents are required to sign a liability waiver, so, you need to check with your school district administrator about how this is handled in your school district and, also, how state laws might apply.

CJ

Posted to Other and School and Daycare