Question:

From Elkins, West Virginia, USA:

Should I have my daughter tested for monogenic diabetes? She is five years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in August 2004. She weighs 43 pounds and, since her diagnosis, has been on a minimal amount of insulin dosages. She is currently taking 3.5 units of NPH in the morning and.5 unit of NPH in the evening. She has been on Sulfatrim for urinary tract infections twice since diagnosis. Both times while on this medication, her sugar levels never rose above 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. I was borderline with gestational diabetes during her pregnancy and she weighed almost nine pounds three weeks before her due date. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. So, I don't know if there is any family history of monogenic diabetes. Based on the information supplied, should I have her tested? If so, how do I go about that? Can her family doctor have these tests ordered, or do I need to wait until she sees her endocrinologist in March?

Answer:

Such issues are sufficiently complex that I would recommend discussing this with your endocrinologist. There are new genetic tests available through Athena Labs as well as Esoterix, but they are not likely to change your therapy.