Question:

From Redding, California, USA:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes at age three. She rarely needs insulin. Her blood glucose will go low occasionally, and when she's sick, she'll get ketones, but they clear up when she drinks water. Her A1c was 4.1. She last needed insulin about seven months ago, and, even then, insulin was never needed on a regular basis. Her doctor said she's never seen a honeymoon period last this long. What might be going on? Can a honeymoon period last for over two years?

Answer:

I suppose the first question is: how was she diagnosed? A random blood sugar over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] with symptoms, thirst, increased urination, increased eating or two blood sugars over 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] fasting at the laboratory? That's the ADA definition; was it met?

Sometimes, children have an elevated glucose with stress and it comes right back down. That's not diabetes. If it were truly diabetes, has anyone measured antibodies? It is pretty easy to get them tested now. You may wish to confirm that the proper tests were done.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Insulin