From Whittier, California, USA:

I have an urgent question. I don't know if I already had diabetes before pregnancy. I am 29 weeks pregnant and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I noticed the symptoms, including frequent urination, especially overnight, three months prior to getting pregnant. Now, it is getting worse; I have to wake up 10 times to go to the bathroom. Could I have had diabetes before my pregnancy?

Since you have gestational diabetes, your doctor will be following your blood sugars during the rest of the pregnancy. So, for the moment, this problem will be managed. Your symptoms prior to the pregnancy do not make a diagnosis of diabetes. What you are describing now could easily be due to the pregnancy. Nevertheless, you may want to be retested after you deliver to see if you have persistent hyperglycemia.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Gestational Diabetes