Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

I am a volunteer at a Child Placement agency and I came across a 14 year old young man who is a type 1 diabetic. His care giver sent a dinner meal/snack consisting of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread, an apple, a small bag of Cheetos and some kind of candy bar. Before he ate, he tested and his reading was 47 mg/dl [2.6 mmol/L]. I know that is low, but my concern is about whether or not he should have gotten this kind of meal. I do not think this was a proper meal. If I knew for sure, I could tell the caregiver and tell them to talk with his doctor. He is new to the family so I am not sure if they are aware of his special diet needs. Any information would be grateful.

Answer:

Meal planning for diabetes nowadays focuses more on the amount of carbohydrate rather than the source of the carbohydrate. That said, it is still important that everyone, especially kids with diabetes, follow a healthy and well balanced meal plan. A few things that probably could be substituted in the menu are the candy bar, the regular jelly, and the white bread. Some better options would be a low carbohydrate jelly, whole wheat bread (more fiber) and a smaller carbohydrate snack. Hopefully, the child and caregiver have had the chance to meet with a registered dietitian to review meal planning. If not, I would recommend that you suggest a meeting with a registered dietitian.

JMS