Question:

From Norco, California, USA:

I have a special needs child. He is 11, but does not talk. His labels started with microcephaly, hyptonia, and sensory dysfunctions. He is moderate to severe mentally retarded. The cause has been ruled genetic or environmental.

He has been in pretty good health except for some chronic bronchitis/pneumonia when he was younger. He is still in diapers, eats with his hands, does not follow directions or have imaginative play yet. He cannot tell me when he does not feel well. I have to go from his body language/behavior. He has been doing some things that have me concerned. He has been grabbing/rubbing his right arm/hand a lot lately in a manner that makes me think he is feeling something is bothering him but not enough to cry. He is drinking more than he wants to eat and he loves to eat. All he wants is junk now and a lot of breads/cereal and fruits/sweets. He also loves milk more that usual. He acts spacey, lethargic, maybe even slightly dizzy sometimes. My son is just not himself. He is short for his age and a little overweight. He has had a lot of diarrhea or very full diapers. Are there any symptoms or behaviors he may be demonstrating that I should recognize if diabetes were the problem? What do you look for in a child/toddler who cannot communicate?

Answer:

Compared to otherwise healthy children and teens, the symptoms of diabetes will be similar in a special needs child that is developing diabetes. See our web page on the Symptoms of Diabetes