From Kuwait:

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on December 28, 2005. He was hospitalized for five days. During this time, he received insulin injections, but his blood glucose still remained high. He has been home for two days and his blood glucose levels are still in the 300 to 400 mg/dl [16.7 to 22.2 mmol/L] range. The doctor said this would get better and has not scheduled an appointment until January 11. Should I be worried? I'm afraid to adjust his insulin medication in any way? Should I get a second opinion?

I think you can wait until next scheduled appointment when your son's blood sugar levels should be lower. Ask your doctor for more information on how to educate you and your son towards self-monitoring and self-management of his disease. That's the best way to manage type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care