From India:

I am 45 years old and weigh 95 kg (209 pounds) with mild diabetes and insulin resistance associated with obesity. I am taking 1 mg SR metformin at noon. Would it be okay if I were to stop taking the pills and stress diet and exercise? Would this be harmful or not? How many calories should I consume?

One big question is about your current hemoglobin A1c. Are you under good control, according to this test? If so, you may be able to get away with diet. However, metformin has some potential benefit on heart function. I am not sure I understand why you want to get off the medication. I would suggest trying to work on lifestyle issues while still on the medications so as to avoid a rise in blood sugars with discontinuation of the metformin. The number of calories you take in is determined by your physical activity, as well as how much weight you want to lose. I would recommend you see a dietician, if one is available to you, to help you with this. It will also be important to remain physically active with 30 to 60 minutes of continuous exercise daily. Make sure your doctor thinks it is okay to exercise safely. He may want to do a heart stress test before such an exercise program.

Posted to Type 2