From Sebring, Florida, USA:

My son will be three in February. In the last couple of months, he has been urinating a lot and drinking a lot. The urination seems to continue, but he has decreased his intake of fluids. My husband and I tested his sugar. After a meal; it was 98 mg/dl [5.5 mmol/L]. Fasting, it was 78 mg/dl [4.3 mmol/L]. So, we didn't worry too much. Diabetes runs in my husband's family, but they are diagnosed as adults.

Well, the last three days my son ate M & Ms and had cake and ice cream at a birthday party and within seconds fell face down in the plate, asleep and slept for four hours. He doesn't take naps anymore so we were laughing attributing it to excitement and playing hard. The next day, after a lunch of chicken, applesauce, cornbread, green beans, a sweet treat for dessert, gum and candy that his sister gave to him, again, he fell asleep for three and a half hours. Today, he played, had lunch and then had a hand full of M & Ms, a few Teddy Grahams, and then fell asleep face first in my computer chair and slept for two and a half hours. Should I be concerned that my child, who hasn't taken a nap for quite sometime, all of the sudden falls asleep within ten minutes of consuming sugar and that he urinates frequently? He falls asleep wherever he is and sleeps hard for a long time. Can these be a sign of pre-diabetes or coincidence?

Your best option, at this point, given the normal sugar testing you've done at home, is to review your concerns with your son's pediatrician. He would benefit from a thorough history and physical examination to properly investigate your concerns.