Question:

From Chillicothe, Illinois, USA:

I was diagnosed with postprandial hypoglycemia since I had gastric bypass surgery in April 2004. I am worried because of the new study of hyperfunctioning pancreatic islets that may be causing this. What is the blood test that my doctor can do to check if this is the cause?

Answer:

It is not a single blood test that makes the diagnosis. It is the situation of finding inappropriate low blood sugars with elevated insulin and C-peptide levels at the time of the symptoms. Other conditions need to be ruled out.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other