Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am having a very difficult problem. I can't stress how frustrating it is for me. After ingesting the product dextrose, I become angry, irritable, violent, enraged, basically insert your description of hate here. Also, my body will not process certain artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, Equal and Sweet 'N Low. I have found zero help on this problem and continue to eat other products that are related to dextrose and Splenda because they are hidden under different names. I can't stress how badly these products make me feel. Please help me, if you can't help me then point me to someone that can. No one seems to know anything about this.

Answer:

It might be that people are having a difficult problem helping you because it is not clear what the problem is. First, the products you describe are quite different. Dextrose is another name for glucose, whereas Splenda and Equal are trade names for products that serve as glucose substitutes. If you are having difficulty taking glucose, you need to have this addressed by your physician. There are clinical tests, such a a glucose tolerance test, that will allow the study of glucose levels in your body after an oral glucose challenge. If the levels are too high, that will come out in the study. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say your body cannot process the sugar substitutes. This must mean there are side effects taking these, as well. You would have to contact someone with special expertise to determine if you cannot digest these products.