Question:

From Clarksville, Indiana, USA:

My four year old son, type 1 for two years, has just started thinking he is going to choke while eating. His doctors have him on a very strict meal plan and insulin regimen. I'm very concerned that forcing him to eat led up to this problem. I have no idea what to do to help him feel more comfortable with eating. Do you have any advice?

Answer:

I'm not sure why you're forced to make him eat. Typically, children with diabetes are on a food program that encourages healthy eating limiting simple carbohydrates when possible. They should not be forced to eat, unless you are treating a low blood sugar.

If your child feels like he is choking when he eats, I would review that with your pediatrician. It likely is not related to his diabetes.