Question:

From Buffalo, New York, USA:

I went for a five hour Glucose Tolerance Test due to some episodes of hypoglycemic attacks and a check for reactive hypoglycemia. My fasting blood sugar was 85 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L]. After 30 minutes, it was 122 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L]; at one hour, it was 82 mg/dl [4.5 mmol/L]; at two hours, it was 81 mg/dl [4.5 mmol/L]; at three hours, it was 62 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L]; at four hours, it was 68 mg/dl [3.8 mmol/L]; and at five hours, it was 83 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L].Does this sound like reactive hypoglycemia? I have been tired, foggy, and with no energy for long time. My primary care physician recommended that I follow a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.

I also have PCOS. I cannot take birth control pills. I take Procardia for Raynaud's phenomenon and Aldactone, as well as Procardia XL. I have low blood pressure. So, I went to my reproductive endocrinologist he wants me try 2000 mg Glucophage to reduce the PCOS symptoms so I can menstruate. I am about 30 pounds overweight and I worry will this effect my blood sugars anyway. I am truly confused what high protein, low carbohydrate diet I should follow. Am I closer diabetes?

Answer:

There have been previous studies looking at how helpful these prolonged oral glucose tolerance tests are for the diagnosis of reactive hypoglycemia. My interpretation of the medical literature is that a low value is neither necessary or sufficient to make the diagnosis. You end up making decisions based on clinical symptoms. I would suggest you see a physician who has expertise in this area for some solid endpoints and good information. There is a lot of bad information out there. You will need someone to go through this with you.