Question:

From Gardendale, Alabama, USA:

My 14 year old son has had type 1 for three years. We go to the endocrinologist every three or four months. At each visit, the doctor checks my son's groin area to see if he has any signs of puberty. My son and I want to know if this is a normal procedure for an endocrinologist.

Answer:

Checking pubertal development is a normal part of a physical examination. Examing a young man's groin at each office visit seems excessive. An annual examination (and any additional examinations if problems were suspected) would be closer to the norm.