Question:

From Appleton, Wisconsin, USA:

I am 24 years old and have had diabetes since I was seven. I took NPH and Regular for many years. I weighed about 240 pounds for the longest time and about three years ago, I lost over 90 pounds. I got totally off of insulin shots and onto oral medications (metformin). Since last year, I have resumed shots, taking Lantus and Humalog. I have not had a regular period, ever, and I'd like to get pregnant. I'm worried about not getting my period on a regular basis that I won't ever get pregnant. I have tried several times. Is the diabetes going to stop me from my dreams of having a baby? Is there anything I can do to better my chances of having a baby? I've taken all the tests for fertility and they say I am fertile during the same times of the month.

Answer:

In general, diabetes should not prevent you from becoming pregnant. However, there may other associated factors that make conception more difficult. In your case, it appears that you are not ovulating on a regular basis. There is some medication that can improve this situation. I would suggest that you consult with your gynecologist about more specific ways to improve your chances of becoming pregnant. In preparation for a pregnancy you should do your best to bring your diabetes into good control before you conceive. I would also suggest having your eyes and kidneys examined for any damage due to the long standing diabetes.

Posted to Pregnancy