From Appleton, Wisconsin, USA:

I am 24 years old and have had diabetes since I was seven. I took NPH and Regular for many years. I weighed about 240 pounds for the longest time and about three years ago, I lost over 90 pounds. I got totally off of insulin shots and onto oral medications (metformin). Since last year, I have resumed shots, taking Lantus and Humalog. I have not had a regular period, ever, and I'd like to get pregnant. I'm worried about not getting my period on a regular basis that I won't ever get pregnant. I have tried several times. Is the diabetes going to stop me from my dreams of having a baby? Is there anything I can do to better my chances of having a baby? I've taken all the tests for fertility and they say I am fertile during the same times of the month.

In general, diabetes should not prevent you from becoming pregnant. However, there may other associated factors that make conception more difficult. In your case, it appears that you are not ovulating on a regular basis. There is some medication that can improve this situation. I would suggest that you consult with your gynecologist about more specific ways to improve your chances of becoming pregnant. In preparation for a pregnancy you should do your best to bring your diabetes into good control before you conceive. I would also suggest having your eyes and kidneys examined for any damage due to the long standing diabetes.

Posted to Pregnancy