Question:

From Lowell, Massachusetts, USA:

I am a 39 year old male with a couple medical issues. I have had three renal transplants, the last one in July 1998, after which I was diagnosed with diabetes as well. I now take 15 units of Lantus daily since around March 2000. I also take glyburide, 5 mg daily. I have no problems maintaining the renal transplant medications (Prograf, prednisone), blood pressure medication (Lysinopril), and miscellaneous vitamins/minerals/supplements, and my diabetes medications.

However, I have been experiencing, since September 2005, a numbness in the last two fingers on my left hand, and a little way down the palm toward the wrist. Is there any way to correct this? I have researched and read about Alpha Lipoic Acid being a help for this as well, but I am not sure about simply taking it without a professional opinion outside of my own physician (to see if there is a somewhat universal answer for me). Do you have any methods or non-prescription ways to help with the neuropathy?

Answer:

The question is what is causing the symptoms. What you are describing may really be neuropathy from diabetes. It may also be compression of a nerve in the arm or wrist. The treatments are very different. I would suggest you see a physician to help make a diagnosis so that the appropriate therapy can be administered. There are other medications, besides lipoic acid. However, they are prescription medications.