From Lowell, Massachusetts, USA:

I am a 39 year old male with a couple medical issues. I have had three renal transplants, the last one in July 1998, after which I was diagnosed with diabetes as well. I now take 15 units of Lantus daily since around March 2000. I also take glyburide, 5 mg daily. I have no problems maintaining the renal transplant medications (Prograf, prednisone), blood pressure medication (Lysinopril), and miscellaneous vitamins/minerals/supplements, and my diabetes medications.

However, I have been experiencing, since September 2005, a numbness in the last two fingers on my left hand, and a little way down the palm toward the wrist. Is there any way to correct this? I have researched and read about Alpha Lipoic Acid being a help for this as well, but I am not sure about simply taking it without a professional opinion outside of my own physician (to see if there is a somewhat universal answer for me). Do you have any methods or non-prescription ways to help with the neuropathy?

The question is what is causing the symptoms. What you are describing may really be neuropathy from diabetes. It may also be compression of a nerve in the arm or wrist. The treatments are very different. I would suggest you see a physician to help make a diagnosis so that the appropriate therapy can be administered. There are other medications, besides lipoic acid. However, they are prescription medications.