From Vero Beach, Florida, USA:

My daughter keeps getting bad ingrown toenails. Over the past several months, her podiatrist has removed two of them "temporarily" and three of them "permanently." Now, one of the nails he did "temporarily" is back, ingrown and infected again. How should this be treated? I just read in a diabetic magazine that you should never let a podiatrist use an acid chemical on your foot, which is what they use to remove an ingrown toenail permanently. The endocrinologist has been very vague and, basically, does not answer my question. Do you have any suggestions of how we should get this treated? We do care for her nails properly to begin with. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Our podiatrist doesn't use any chemicals for diabetic feet with ingrown toenails. We generally treat this problem with a surgical approach to remove an ingrown toenail along with a strict follow-up. This approach is generally very effective. So, you might consider a second opinion.