Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

My six year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 nine months ago. Since then, she has been given insulin shots everyday to control her glucose level. In general, her glucose is in good control. However, we noticed that she has not grown much taller since the diagnosis and she has not gained any weight either. She used to grow very fast, three inches a year. Is this something we need to be concerned about? Would type 1 hinder a child from growing taller?

Answer:

If you have an endocrinologist in Pittsburgh following your child, I know them and they are among America's finest. Just ask at the next visit. I know they are measuring her and can tell the actual growth rate. There are norms and, if she has a problem, they can tackle it (go Steelers!). Children with diabetes can have other problems and they are not related to the diabetes. With good control, she should grow normally. If not, ask; I know they will investigate.