Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

After 16 year of type 1 diabetes, I have neuropathy in my feet. Since my blood sugar hasn't been in good control lately (A1c 9.5%), I've noticed that my feet hurt more than normal. I take three Neurontin 300 mg at bedtime. I was wondering if you've had any experience with taking the Neurontin during the day to help with pain? My doctor is out of town and I would like to get some type of idea before she gets back.

Answer:

First, it is known that poor blood sugar control makes the neuropathy worse. You can get rather rapid improvement with better blood sugar control. Second, you can take the Neurontin throughout the day. Some physicians choose to give the Neurontin at night because that when it is the worst and interferes with sleep. If the medication does not work at this dose, you may increase the dose. However, please speak with your physician before making any dosage change. Finally, if you do not get relief with better blood sugar control and a higher dose of Neurontin, you can try other medications. Recently, a new medication related to Neurontin, called pregabapentin, has been introduced and may work when the Neurontin has been unsuccessful.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Complications