Question:

From Nebraska, USA:

My seven year old child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in August 2005. I just found out that the school cafeteria was letting him have a regular tray which contained sugar. This, of course, is after they told me there were diabetic trays available. What are the possible damaging effects on his organs and anything else after being fed sugar for six months?

Answer:

He has not been damaged by the sugar. It is best to avoid sugar when possible, but entirely eliminating it from a diet is impossible. I would encourage you to count carefully his carbohydrates and use that information to help you adjust his insulin dosing at mealtimes. Your diabetes educator or physician will best be able to help direct you regarding that dosing. It will be best to use the school's tray for children with diabetes in the future, but no harm was done.