From Quincy, Massachusetts, USA:

Have any studies been done on the relationship between blood glucose and the glycemic index? I have recently had trouble with high sugars two hours after breakfast that come down to target before lunch, without intervention. Adjustments in the insulin to carbohydrate ratio and basal rates only made the lunch numbers lower. I just changed the breakfast food around and added more fiber and added milk instead of juice. I also added a fruit in instead of relying on the juice for that part of a balanced meal. I have noticed lows now where sugars were always high. I think with an insulin adjustment things may be better. I have always heard that "a carb is a carb" no matter whether it was a potato or a candy bar. Is this philosophy changing?

There are hundreds of such studies. Go to Pub Med and enter glycemic index, carbohydrate counting, etc. An excellent book by Warshaw and Kulkarni published in 2004 is available from the ADA bookstore online as well as most local and Internet bookstores that may be helpful.