Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

I'm 21 and believe I have hypoglycemia. My family has a history with sugar problems. Between school and two jobs, sometimes diet, exercise and supplements aren't enough to make me feel good enough to be motivated to function in life. Basically, I would like to know if there is someone I can contact about getting government help to ease some of the pressure of this stressful life and low blood sugar. If I didn't have to lose my mind barely making it through 40 or more hour work weeks so I have enough money to live, I could deal with everything better. It's gotten to the point where I have to leave work early because I just can't keep up. Then again, I can't keep leaving work early because I'll never make rent. Yet, if I don't leave work, my sugar is off for a whole week. Surely there is some kind of financial help for those with sugar problems that are progressing? PLEASE HELP!

Answer:

First, I would recommend meeting with your doctor to confirm your diagnosis of hypoglycemia. It would also be good to rule out whether you have another medical problem that is causing you to feel less motivated.

In terms of government programs, the only government supported program that I can think of is to try to apply for social security disability benefits. In my experience, a diagnosis of just diabetes is not usually considered a disability for social security disability benefits unless the individual has severe diabetes related complications or has another chronic illness. I do not have any experience of someone applying for social security benefits for hypoglycemia, but you may still want to refer to the Social Security's Disability Programs page on their web site.

DB

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

If I understand your question, your are seeking public assistance due to symptoms that make them feel stressed and depressed. There are no government programs to provide financial assistance. However, I encourage you to seek medical and mental health services that may be available to them at no or little cost The place to start would be to visit your school's student health services center. Talk to the professional there about how you feel and your emotional state.

If this is not an option, there are medical clinics in Pittsburgh that provide services at low or no cost. You can find these resources through your church, your school or your community social services office.

DSH