Question:

From Toledo, Ohio, USA:

My four and a half year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 in December 2005. Since her diagnosis, she will occasionally complain about how her socks and shoes do not fit or feel right. The shoes and socks are fine and fit appropriately, but we will change to different shoes and socks, which does not make any difference at these times. Her feet are fine (no injuries, sores, etc.) and are checked by the doctor at each visit. Have you heard of other children complaining of the above? Do you have any suggestions on how to help with this?

Answer:

I have not heard of any complaints from other young children about socks and shoes. I can reassure you that this is not linked to diabetes, for sure, especially in a newly onset child.